To get the EEM Strategy or process started, an Energy/Emissions
Management (EEM) Team should be formed. The EEM team will be responsible for establishing
and managing the EEM strategy or process. This Section provides information on how to set
up an EEM Team.
Establishing an Emissions and Energy Management (EEM) Team
The EEM Team will take the lead in:
(1) Identifying their company's air emissions and energy consumption
(2) Establishing energy/emissions reduction targets,
(3) Developing energy/emissions reduction plans,
(4) Implementing the reduction plans,
(5) Conducting regular energy/emissions audits,
(6) Comparing audit findings with reduction targets, and
(7) Reviewing energy/emissions reduction targets.
The EEM Team should comprise, at a minimum, an EEM Manager supported
by an EEM Team that includes representation from different departments.
Appointing an EEM Manager
The duties of the EEM Manager should include:
- Liaison with top management on the company's strategy on
- Development and review of the EEM Strategy;
- Establishing the energy/emissions reduction targets;
- Facilitating and driving implementation of the EEM Strategy with
support of top management;
- Raising awareness of, and providing advice to, staff on
energy/emissions reduction measures; and,
- Monitoring and improving the effectiveness of the EEM Strategy.
It is important that the EEM manager is appointed by senior
management and he or she receives the full support of the senior management team. The
individual selected should:
- Have sufficient influence and authority to implement the EEM Strategy
across the organisation;
- Be familiar with the operation of different departments within the
- Have a good understanding of the need to reduce energy
consumption and emissions.
an EEM Team
The EEM Team should include representatives from different
departments across the organization. Members of the Team should take responsibility for
managing EEM issues under the chairmanship of the EEM Manager.
The duties of the EEM Team should include:
- Providing skills, knowledge and expertise to support the
implementation of the EEM programme;
- Collecting and collating information to develop and monitor the EEM
- Raising staff awareness of, and enthusiasm for, emissions reduction
and energy saving measures;
- Driving implementation of measures to reduce emissions and minimize
- Providing information and training to staff; and
- Evaluating and reporting on the effectiveness of the Strategy
with the support of the EEM Manager.
Download this Chapter (In PDF Format)